The History of the Enterprise
The Scientific-Technical Complex “Precision Mechanics Plant” was created in 1996 on the order of The Ministry of Industrial Policy of Ukraine.
In September 1996 there was created a Ukrainian-Russian-Byelorussian transnational Industrial-Financial Group “Tochnist`” that united the enterprises – manufacturers of small arms, rocket and missile artillery ordnance as well.
The group is composed of two Ukrainian enterprises: (Scientific-Technical Complex “Precision Mechanics Plant” and Research and Manufacturing Complex “Progress”).
In 1999 the plant was inscribed in the list of the military- industrial complex of Ukraine exempted from paying land tax (the size of the plant area was 2.03 ha).
In the early 2000s there was mastered the commercial production of 30-mm automatic cannons ZTM1 and ZTM2 , as well as the tank guns TG-12,7 and TG-7.62 ( which were basically set on the export-designated armored vehicles).
In 2006 the production assets were loaded on 73%.
At the beginning of 2008 the main products of the Scientific-Technical Complex “Precision Mechanics Plant” were:
- 7.62 – mm tank gun TG 7,62 (analogue PK )
- 12.7 – mm anti-aircraft machine gun 12.7 TG (analogue NSV )
- 30-mm automatic gun ZTM 1 (analogue 2A72 )
- 30-mm automatic gun ZTM 2 (analogue 2A42 )
- ammunition belt link L -30
- metal ammunition tape C-12.7
- component of the metal ammunition tape C -7.62
- one-piece metal ammunition tape C-7,62-1
- ammunition box AB -12,7-50 , AB – 12,7-50-1, AB – 7,62-100, AB- 7,62-250
- machine equipment 30-mm ammunition tapes MCC -30
- machine equipment 12.7-mm ammunition tapes MCC -12
Further, the plant mastered production of metal magazine case MA-1 to 7.62-mm Kalashnikov AKM (similar to Soviet magazine case 56-A-212).
Since the establishment in December 2010 of the State Concern “Ukroboronprom”, the plant became a part of the Concern in 2011.
In December 2010, while receiving the first batch of armored personnel carriers BTR-4 Iraqi experts found some serious flaws in the 30-mm guns ZTM 1, which were equipped on the vehicles- at firing the guns made misfires and delays. 26 March 2012, 30-mm automatic gun ZTM1 was officially adopted by the Ukrainian Army, but in May 2012 during the review of the armored personnel carriers BTR-4 supplied to Iraq with the next batch, the Iraqi experts highlighted problems with guns ZTM1, installed on the armored personnel carriers.
In January 2012, the Governor of the Khmelnitsky region Vasyl Yaduha mentioned in the interview that the “Precision Mechanics Plant” has been in the doldrums for several years because of the absence of the government orders and due to the poor quality of products, although he promised that soon the production capacity of the plant will be restored.
In September 2013, during the state financial audit of SE STC “Precision Mechanics Plant” activity, the experts of the Khmelnitsky region state financial inspection found lost money totaling 3.7 million UAH.
In autumn 2013, SC “Ukroboronprom” signed a memorandum of cooperation with the Czech company ALTA, through the agency of the company there was planned the upgrading of the SE “Scientific-Technical Complex “Precision Mechanics Plant” and SE “Scientific-Industrial Complex “Photopribor.”
September 4, 2015 press office of the SC “Ukroboronprom” reported that for the last month the plant produced 35 guns ZTM1 and ZTM2, 100 sets of components to them and 30 thousand of units tapes for automatic guns. It is reported that the plant is now fully involved in the production capacities and faced a record production volume (earlier, the production limit of the artillery weapon was not more than 14 units per month).
ZTM is capable to produce and upgrade the analogues of the Soviet armament units:
- 7.62-mm coaxial machine gun 7.62 TG (similar to PK)
- 12.7-mm anti-aircraft machine gun 12.7 CT (similar to NSV)
- 30-mm automatic cannon ZTM1 (analogue 2A72) and ZTM2 (similar to 2A42)
Which are set on:
- tanks (except automatic guns) T-64BM “Bulat” T-64E, T-80UD, T-84, T-84U “Oplot”;
- the remote weapon stations “Shkval”, “Hrom”, “Ingul” and “Typhoon”, which are set on the Soviet Armored Personnel Carriers BTR-60, BTR-70, BTR-80 and on Ukrainian BTR-94, BTR-3, BTR-4, BTR-7 and other vehicles.
- also STC “ZTM” started mass production of components to 30-mm missiles, magazine cases to Kalashnikov rifles, ammunition boxes of all kinds, machine-gun belts, spare tools and devices for guns TG 7,62 and TG 12,7.
In 2006, the level of the production capacity usage of the STC “ZTM” was 73%.
STC “ZTM” is among the enterprises that have a strategic importance for the state economy and security.